With it officially being October and all, I figured I’d kick it off by sharing some of my favorite October-esque/ Halloween traditions and some new ones we plan on throwing into the mix this year!
- Numero uno and probably the most obvious VISIT A PUMPKIN PATCH. I absolutely love spending hours at the pumpkin patch; sipping a PSL and wandering through all the rows and rows of pumpkins! Depending on the pumpkin patch they sometimes have corn mazes and tractor rides too!
- HALLOWEEN HORROR NIGHTS. My least favorite of our traditions but being the good sport that I am, I participate and play along every damn year. I’m not sure what day we’re going this year and I’m certainly not going to be the one in charge. I just sit back and wait for that awful group chat to come through. We go to Universal Studios for this one but I know a variety of theme parks do their version of Halloween Horror Nights as well.
- We’re doing something new this year! This weekend we’re off to VISIT AN APPLE FARM. We’re actually going to learn how to make home made apple cider and pick our very own apples off the trees. (What is more ‘fall’ than that???)
- DECORATE. Every year I try to pick a different theme (pumpkins, skeletons, zombies, spiders, etc) to decorate our home. This year I’m going with skeletons and skulls and I cannot wait to show you the decor once it’s up!
- Every year we also pick a day where we can do some HALLOWEEN CRAFTING. Last year we made styrafoam skulls which we painted and then I bedazzled mine! This year we are making ceramic heads (secret for now, but you’ll see eventually!)
- WATCH HALLOWEEN MOVIES. My all time favorite, Hocus Pocus, is always top of the list for this one. We switch off picking movies, mine are all very much Disney movies from my childhood (Hocus Pocus, Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, Halloweentown) while Joey’s are of course every horror movie you can think of; leaving me with nightmeares for most of October.
- CARVE PUMPKINS. We do this a bit closer to Halloween, that way our pumpkins are less likely to rot!
- For fall, as I previsouly mentioned in another blog post, I go CRAZY making everything pumpkin flavored. For Halloween the DESSERTS basically stay in that same realm, but I do have more fun pinning desserts that I can make look like monsters or mummies.
- DIY COSTUMES. Joey and I both like going out of the box with our costumes. And I’m proud to say we’ve never bought our costumes from any store; rather small items here and there to tie our looks all together. We like to be original and would hate to show up to a party in the same thing as someone else! This year our costume is absolutely top secret and I cannot wait to put it all together. If you want to read about last year’s costume you can here! To see this year’s costume, I’ll be posting pictures Oct. 28th(because that’s when we have a Halloween party to attend) on my Instagram! @amandacsmith17 Give it a follow and I’ll be sure to follow you back!
- Trick-or-Treat. I’m not one bit ashamed of the fact that I LOVE trick or treating! The past 3 years it has been especially more fun since we go with a couple of our friends who have young kids. It’s so fun to see them all excited and dressed up!
Any Halloween traditions that you have?? I’d love to hear about them!